Tuesday, September 09, 2003

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Been thinking about Nick Drake this morning, which caused me to put on his glum masterpiece Pink Moon. While I won't go into a long discussion of the record, I'd like to note that I believe that the piano break in the title song is one of the loveliest things I've ever heard. Didn't really care to hear it used in a VW commercial, though, although it did make a lot of folks aware of Nick's music that wouldn't have been ordinarily.

This in turn led me to realize that I still haven't seen the documentary A Skin Too Few: The Days of Nick Drake, which I need to add to my list of films I want to see before I die.

I also love Robyn Hitchcock's song "I Saw Nick Drake". Typically odd Hitchcock lyrics, but a haunting melody.

The above portrait of Mr. Drake was done a couple of years ago by a struggling artist, whom I've become quite close to over the years and has a terrible self-confidence problem. He is quite capable of much better if his head and heart would only allow it.