Wednesday, October 04, 2006

I'm right in the middle of writing reviews, so never fear, they'll be along shortly. But in the meantime, let me share my latest art discovery: the amazing Boris Artzybasheff. If I'd heard of him before, I don't remember when...but last night, when I sat down and wrote a response to a meme tag about books, I followed a link from the Wikipedia entry for the book Circus of Dr. Lao to his entry, which led to other links, which led to...well, you'll see later. But man! He had an incredibly diverse career, which went from Hannes Bok-style fantasy illustration to Basil Wolvertonesque cartooning to Daliesque illustration to...again, just check the links. His biggest claim to fame was probably the host of Time magazine covers he did in the 50s and 60s, and apparently he also did illos, like the one at left, for an early edition of Dr. Lao, which didn't get reprinted in subsequent printings. Whatta shame. Anyway, here are some of the links to his work that I found:

Bio and samples at Bud Plant's site.

The American Art Archives.

A page at the Eisner Museum site.

His Time Magazine covers, one of which was published the week I was born;

and

a typically excellent blog post by the ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive Project.

Enjoy, and I'll be getting those reviews up soon. I hope. I'll even squeeze in a Laura Nyro reference.

No comments: