Thursday, January 02, 2003

I've been watching a lot of the I Love The 80s shows on VH1 lately. Seems like ages since I've wanted to watch anything on VH1. It was OK for the most part, but I got real annoyed real fast at the comments of the moronic celebrities that just seemed to be interested in who could be the biggest smart ass...I thought some of those sitcom stars and pseudo-pundits' faces were going to crack in two from the extreme smirks they wore on their mugs, and the frustratingly shallow focus of the whole thing drove me crazy. Hell, I know what happened to Terence Trent D'Arby, but precious few others do and from the show last night you'd think that he spontaneously combusted after his first album was released! I know that ironic distance and not-so-subtle ridicule of anything that isn't right here right now is pretty much par for the course these days, but I wanted to reach into the tube and bitch slap several of those nitwits.

Michele over at A Small Victory has just written a little love letter to that not-so-distant decade, and I agree with her on a lot of things, but I will never agree that the music of the 80s, with its constant synthdrums, was better than the music of the 70s. I was also gratified to see that she's only a couple of years younger than I. Class of 1978, baby!

No comments: