Monday, January 06, 2003

One more thing, then I'm done for the evening. As reported over at Pulse, it looks like the excellent Comic Book Artist magazine will get a new publisher in June. Jon B. Cooke will still be on board, but the emphasis will now be on individual creators rather than a mix of creator pieces and overviews of various publishers over the years, and the cover price will go up from the already high $6.95 to $7.50.

This is not good news to me. I have enjoyed the previous issues a lot, and many of the best ones dealt with lesser-known comic lines like the Tower or Harvey books. Changing this to featuring the "sexy" artist of the day, a la recent spotlights on Adam Hughes, Mike Mignola and Jill Thompson, might make sense from a business standpoint, and for all I know will usher in a new, golden age for CBA, but it's a leap farther away from what I loved about the magazine in the first place. And they also may have effectively priced themselves out of my range.

Music today: The usual CDs from my Christmas haul, Robyn Hitchcock's Globe of Frogs (wanted to listen to this after checking out Globe of Blogs), and one of the all-time great 70s cheeseball AM radio hits, "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes) by Edison Lighthouse. Man, I love that song.

Enough.

Oyasumi Nasai, y'all.

No comments: