Sunday, September 24, 2006



I've been seeing links here, there (and everywhere? Sorry.) to this CBR feature about the aborted 1999 graphic novelization of the 1968 animated Beatles flick Yellow Submarine by Bill Morrison, whose work I have, sadly, been completely unaware of all this time.

Since I am one of the biggest Beatle fans you'd ever want to meet, as well as a huge admirer of the film itself, I just had to make a comment or two. To wit:

It's beautiful! As the example above shows, as well as the ones in the CBR article (LOVE page 8, and what did they say? all you need is love). Morrison brings a nicely aggressive and creative layout style to that by-now familiar story (I must have seen this film a good 50 times, not only in theatres in its first run when I was 8 but on TV, VHS, and now DVD) which serves to make it fresher. I would, as the kids say, totally buy this.

It's too bad that they didn't have this book, Inside the Yellow Submarine: The Making of the Beatles' Animated Classic by Robert Hieronimus to use as reference material; it sheda a lot of light on the convoluted and piecemeal way that film was constructed. Also, Bill, the artist on that Gold Key adaptation (which I still have, coverless, somewhere) was Jose Delbo, not Paul S. Newman.

Let me add my voice to those who would love to see this finished and released, but knowing how difficult the Apple people can be, I won't stand on one leg waiting.

No comments: