Saturday, December 24, 2005

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usPuritans had sound theological reasons for suppressing Christmas: Jesus himself never proposed that Christians observe his birth (as he did ask them to commemorate his death), nor did the Bible offer even the slightest clue about what time of year he was actually born. But the most powerful reason for the Puritans' ban on Christmas had to do with holiday merriment...An Elizabethan bishop, Hugh Latimer, put the matter most succinctly: "Men dishonour Christ more in the 12 days of Christmas, than in all the 12 months besides."

I haven't opined upon the current God-botherer (love that term, thanks, Warren Ellis) fixation upon "the war on "Christmas"; I suppose as someone who considers himself 98% athiest, it doesn't really matter to me whether you wish me a merry ex-mas, happy holiday, or kwazy Kwanzaa. They're all expressions of good will, and thus OK by me. But I'm always amused by those pious souls who feel threatened by this tempest in a teapot, and are apparently utterly ignorant of the origins of the holiday (and by extension, their Lord and Savior's presumed birthday) they so vigorously defend. The above is from this shortish article I read in the Courier-Journal on Thursday; it explains this quite succinctly, I liked it, and now I'm pointing it out to you.

My Ex-mas gift to you. I'll probably post something-or-other tomorrow, no holiday blogging break for me! I'm also seriously considering going to see both Narnia and King Kong, so don't wait up for me. At any rate, whatever your belief, I hope you have a wonderful, marvelous, and extraordinary next couple of days. From all of me to all of you.

No comments: