Tuesday, January 16, 2007



I've been looking through the new Marvel solicitations for April, and was somewhat disappointed to note that I will only be getting two of them: Daredevil and Immortal Iron Fist. However, I also noticed this suh-weet cover by Mike Golden for Heroes for Hire #9. Unfortunately, I won't be buying because, as you may recall from my previous post, I have decided to drop that title. I would pick it up again if Golden drew it, but alas that's not the case.



The DC solicits, on the other hand, despite being (as usual) full of 52 tie-ins and other stuff that interests me not in the slightest, manages to boast a few more titles of which I will be partaking. The cover above is not one of them, but it's Philip Bond, don'tcha know, and I like it. No interest in The Exterminators, though. Perhaps if Bond drew the interiors...

Also, if I had the cash I'd but that GOLDEN AGE DR. FATE ARCHIVES VOL. 1 HC, because as I was saying the other day, reading the original Doc Fate tales when I was a kid made a deep impression on me. The stories by Gardner Fox, written in a dry, arid, matter-of-fact style (somewhat similar to his far more wordy early 60's style that everyone's more familiar with), and the frankly stiff and posed Howard Sherman art conjured up, if you'll excuse the expression, a real mood and somewhat creepy vibe on impressionable 12-year-old me, who was exposed to these stories in reprints (you remember, the JLA with Johnny Dune from a few posts back) and 80-page giants like this one, which sports one of my favorite covers- an Adams wraparound, to boot. Later Doc Fate exploits have left me cold, mostly, although I will admit a soft spot, on top of my head, for the Jared Stevens Fate. Not the one Giffen wrote, but the Kaminski one. I know, I know.

I was also a teensy bit dismayed to note that MANHUNTER #30 is being advertised as the final issue. I wasn't aware that the resurrection was going to be this short in duration! Guess they didn't get the sales bump they wanted after all, despite everyone's best efforts. Oh well, it was nice to see a regular venue for Chase, if nothing else, and even if it wasn't by D.C. Johnson and J.H. Williams- but I won't miss it all that much. Hell, I still miss Losers a lot more.

There are a few more noteworthy entries, such as a collection of the first few issues of THE ALL-NEW ATOM, this being titled VOL. 1: MY LIFE IN MINIATURE, which I am intrigued by against my better judgment; and the clumsily-titled THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES IN THE 31st CENTURY #1, which sports art by Chynna Clugston-Flores, fresh from Teen Titans. Her art makes this interesting. She won't be doing further issues, though, from what I understand and she didn't do the cover you saw if click on the link. Guess it will be a game time decision.

Aaaand, that's it!

No comments: