Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I'm sure many of you already know about this, but I figured I'd pass it on anyway- a site called Humorous Maximus has begun posting Steve Canyon daily strips on their site as of last Sunday. It's a great opportunity to get in on the start of one of the truly classic comics of yesteryear, drawn in that gorgeous 1940's style by Milton Caniff (and Dick Rockwell) that you just don't see all that much in mainstream comics, with the exception of the likes of Timm, Cooke, Glines, J. Bone, Ronnie Del Carmen, and perhaps a few others who are into that old-school magazine-style illustration. Go here to start at the beginning, and admire the storytelling chops of that first Sunday page which was more than a little groundbreaking at the time.

I grew up in the mid-late 60's, just as the Canyon strip was beginning to get a little played out- and I remember reading it but not being any more impressed with it than I was, oh, Captain Easy or some of the other adventure strips I'd seen in the Louisville Courier-Journal and Times. I also never got around to picking up any of the reprints from Kitchen Sink. Over the last few years, I've become very interested in this era and this style of cartooning, and so I'm looking forward to catching up with these slices of history. Now, if it only had an RSS or Atom feed, so I could read it via Bloglines...



Oh, and by the way, just like the pod people in Invasion of the Body Snatchers (pick your year- 1956, 1978, 1993), I switched over to New Blogger on Sunday evening. The transformation was relatively quick and mostly painless. So far, I really haven't noticed too many differences, one exception being the "manage posts" section now allows me to easily access all my previous posts, instead of having to enter extra code in the browser URL window above. Maybe someday I'll even get around to re-posting the images I'm missing from 2004!

No comments: