Tuesday, August 03, 2004



What we have here is Angelina Jolie in her role as "Franky Cook", commander of an all-female amphibious squadron in the upcoming film Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

People, I am really excited about this flick! I had previously seen a trailer somewhere, and it apparently didn't make a lasting impression on me. Don't know why. But after reading about the goings-on regarding Van Helsing director Stephen Sommers being off the upcoming John Carter, Warlord of Mars movie and Sky Captain director Kerry Conran being on at The Beat, I started clicking around and eventually went to the official site of the Sky Captain film...and all I can say is wow. An impression has definitely been created.

Captain appears to be a homage to those old science fiction pulp magazines of yore, and silent classics like Metropolis. I would give my eyeteeth to see a Doc Savage or Shadow film done this way. The production design is amazing- everything is soft-focus and retro, like the filmmakers spent a decade with their nose buried in Virgil Finlay and Roy Krenkel-illustrated stories. I don't know if Mike Kaluta had a hand in any of this, but this sort of thing has a definite Kaluta vibe. I'm also reminded of Dark City quite a bit. There's also a strong tongue-in-cheek Buckaroo Banzai feel as well...or maybe that's just me. It's also got a great cast- besides Jolie, we also get Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow and Giovanni Ribisi looking all weird and cool in his black goggles. I'm tellin ya- this is going to be amazing on the large screen. I think I just might have to go sell some blood or something to get the ticket money, but I'm gonna see this. Wow.

Click on Angelina above to go to the official Sky Captain site. September 17th, baby!

No comments: