Saturday, May 03, 2008

Looks like I've been tagged with a comics-related meme by young mahstah Rich Lovatt, so I'll put it here where I put most things comics-related. And it goes like this.

Post the questions below and three covers that answer to these questions; no need to comment unless you want to:

1) What was the first comic you remember reading?

Hey! I just wrote about this the other day! Oh well, here it is again:



2) What was the first comic that made you realize that you might be in this for the long haul?



This is a hard one to answer, really, because I don't really remember actually thinking "This is it- the one book (or series) that makes me want to read and collect comics for the rest of my life, or at least the foreseeable future" at any point. I know there was a time in the early-mid 80's that I was seriously considering stopping, because the number of regular titles I was buying had dwindled down to about four or five- but then I discovered books like Zot!, American: Flagg, Flaming Carrot, and Thriller, and my habit was renewed. However, to answer the question, after much deliberation I settled on the above, one issue out of the brief Thomas/Adams X-Men run...a run that I still like, even better than Claremont & Byrne's, and one of the first times I remember being extremely motivated to make sure I got the next issue when it came out. Typically, I cite the cover from #62, and as I recall I didn't get #63 until many years later, when I discovered the embryonic comics shops of Louisville and Nashville. The next issue of X-Men I got, actually, was #65. Weird, huh.

3) If you had to make a snap decision to take one comic or one comic run to a desert island, what would it be? Don't think too hard!



This would be one hell of a hard choice, indeed, and I suppose I have violated the spirit of this one by actually deliberating about it for a while. After considering such things as length of run, sentimental attachment, and of course entertainment value, I decided that I'd take the first 100 issues or so of Fantastic Four, plus Annuals. Many of my favorite comics runs only lasted less than a dozen issues in many cases, and if I'm gonna be stuck on an island for a while I want something that's gonna kill a little time! But since I am going to be on that theoretical desert island, I sure as hell don't want to be sitting there with thousands of dollars' worth of funnybooks, getting all sandy and scuffed up and wet with salt water. So what I'd take instead is the Essential Fantastic Four series, which would do nicely, I'd think. I'd miss the color, but hey- if I was stranded on a desert island, I'd think I'd have more pressing concerns!

Link to at least five other people to continue the meme - and they need to link back to your post when doing it.

I hate to tag people on these things, but since I'm trying to play it by the book, how about Angela, Scott, Teresa, Dave, and one more I'll name later.

No comments: