Saturday, May 19, 2007

Since this Mary Jane Watson "comiquette" thing refuses to die, and since very few, if any, people care what I have to say about anything anyway (just ask Dirk Deppey!), I can't help but wonder if anyone's taken the time to consider that since Marvel and Sideshow Collectibles aren't backing down on this issue, that all that this brouhaha has accomplished is REAMS of publicity for a product that otherwise few people would have paid attention to otherwise (I'm mostly referring to people who would never be caught dead in a comics shop) and even fewer would have actually purchased. I gotta believe that this overpriced little trinket would have been issued and forgotten about three months later, movie or no movie, if not for all the attention. It's like Alice Cooper's management used to say- you can't BUY this kind of publicity ANYWHERE!

I'm not trying provoke anybody or make anybody mad, or decry the choice some made to protest. We all have our windmills to tilt against and oxes to gore. If this has been brought up and discussed to death somewhere, it hasn't been brought up and discussed to death anywhere where I've read about it (and I just don't have the time or patience to troll though all the When Fangirls Attack links, sorry). I just bring it up, that's all.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have laundry to do. I kid you not.

No comments: