Thursday, March 22, 2007



Hello, everybody!

I'm not going to apologize, much, for the lack of posting because it's nothing new lately. It's been a very busy week. I have a new job coming up, one which promises to be less stressful (I hope), and I'm also hoping that it means that I won't be as drained in the evening and that will result in more posting! We shall see, I guess.

Anyways, in lieu of any actual comics, movies, TV or music writing, I just thought I'd post a cover and hope that all of you will consider picking this up (I believe it came out this week or last). Now, that said, I probably won't be getting it myself- I still have the original comics that are reprinted in this volume- but I can assure you that this is a smartly written and sharply illustrated set of adaptations of some of the wittiest fantasy fiction ever: Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and the Mouser stories. Pencilled by Mike Mignola just before he grew into his now-familiar Hellboy style, and inked by 50's SF comics icon Al Williamson (at first an odd choice, or so I thought back then, but he adds an interesting sheen to Mignola's work), they do a fine job of bringing Nehwon to life. I suppose it must have been fun for Howard Chaykin, who pencilled several issues of the last attempt to being Lieber's characters to comics (DC's Sword of Sorcery, remember, one of those garbage 70's comics you've heard about lately), and was a great choice because his style on his own projects was as witty and cynical as Lieber could often be in his novels.

Anyway, buy it. I'll have new reviews coming sooner rather than later. By the way, how d'ya like the new feature cover image on the sidebar? Love David Bawidamann's work, but I had gotten kinda tired of that image. Ganked the new one from the always interesting Datajunkie.

Good night!

No comments: