Saturday, February 25, 2006

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


RIP Don Knotts, who died yesterday at age 81.

I never was much of a Mayberry fan, but of course Knotts was excellent on that show. Probably the other most vivid pop-cultury memory I have of him was of a couple of post-Mayberry films, the underrated live action-and-animation The Incredible Mr. Limpet and haunted house hijinks flick The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, both of which played the Twin City drive-in when I was a wee lad. I loved Limpet (not so much as an adult), and while I liked Chicken I never thought it was as much fun as some of my buddies did.

I knew Mark Evanier (who writes a lot of great stuff, not just obits) would have a great remembrance up, and I was right!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Also, I'm sorry to report, Darren McGavin has died today as well! Nothing from the usual news sources yet, but it is posted on his website. Of course, He will always be remembered not only for just his countless TV and movie appearances, but two appearances in particular: Carl Kolchak in The Night Stalker (above) and as Ralphie's Dad in A Christmas Story (Sons of bitches! Bumpuses!!). I always thought he did a great job as one of the heavies in The Natural as well. RIP, Mr. McGavin. Whatta day.

No comments: