Monday, February 25, 2008

THESE ARE COMICS COVERS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE WHILST PERUSING DC AND MARVEL'S MAY SOLICITS.



AND THESE ARE THOUGHTS THAT I DID THINK AS I DID SO PERUSE.

BLUE BEETLE #27: "Hold me closer, tiny demon". Ouch. Actually, Blue Beetle is one of those comics I think I'd be buying if I had more disposable income. Looks like it might be kinda fun.

DETECTIVE COMICS #844: I'm finding that these Dustin Nguyen covers are catching my eye with more frequency- they're cleverly conceived. This one's got Zatanna by Dini, which is probably made of win, but I'm just not interested in buying odd issues of this or that title right now, with few exceptions. I hope everybody concerned understands.

FABLES #73: Ho hum, another wonderful James Jean illustration. You know, one of these days he's going to decide that he's bored with doing illustrations for comic books, and then where will we all be? Let's appreciate his excellence now while we can.

FINAL CRISIS #1: Y'know, I've been quite happily ignoring all the 52/infinity/Countdown multi-title crossover bullshit for a year or two now, since I was so thoroughly put off by Identity Crisis so long ago. But this is by Grant "Jesus" Morrison and J.G. Jones, so it's gonna be hard for me to pass. I just hope it makes sense, as much as a Grant script can make anyway.

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #16: So, I guess (and please bear in mind that I haven't read an issue of this title since #1) they're recycling Kingdom Come here, right? How's that working, I wonder? Someone will have to tell me, I'm not gonna buy. I am still intrigued by that Cyclone character, though- maybe I should draw her one of these days, after I draw Black Bolt and Fred Hembeck...

DC SPECIAL: RAVEN #3: There's a part of me that really likes Damion Scott's colorful and energetic graffiti-inspired artwork, as I believe I discussed in my review of Solo #10; however, it's so sloppy and all-over-the-place that I can see why there are haters as well. None of t his really matters all that much because I'm not buying, but this post is all about things that occurred to me as I looked over the solicits, so there ya go.

THE SPIRIT #17: I like Ploog as much as the next guy, but I haven't seen his first issue of this title yet, so it's anybody's guess how much I'll like him here. That said, I think that this is a really, really really good Eisner-style illo from Paul Smith, who does the art honors on this particular ish, and that bodes well.

TEEN TITANS: YEAR ONE #5: Visited my LCS on Saturday, and took the opportunity to look over #2 of this title. Y'know, I pretty much liked what I saw for the most part, Kerschl & LaPointe's sickly Aqualad and some headscratching anachronisms being the only real liability. I think I'll think about getting the trade. Neat to see the Flips poster on this issue's cover...

THE WAR THAT TIME FORGOT #1: Is that a goofy, delirious, overheated cover or what? This is somewhat interesting, especially because of the presence of Firehair, a character which has given me reason to think about looking for some old back issues someday, but I doubt I'll get this. Perhaps a trade.

AMAZING SPIDER-GIRL #20: Hey! Does Sims know about this one?

DEAD OF NIGHT FEATURING MAN-THING #4: I like the covers' conceit of aping old EC comics. Not enough to buy, but I like it just the same.

IRON MAN: VIVA LAS VEGAS #1: Are we sick of Iron Man yet? Just you wait! Anyway, this somewhat gratuitous cover, not that there's anything wrong with that, looks good (as well it should, it's by Adi Granov) and the story it's wrapped around is supposed to be written by Jon Favreau, the movie's director, so it has that going for it anyway.

IMMORTAL IRON FIST #15: The return of Bei Bang-Wen, plus new art by Kaare Evans. I would buy this anyway.

MOON KNIGHT #18: I repeat: Are we sick of Iron Man yet?

OMEGA: THE UNKNOWN #8: So, if I understand it correctly, certain parties who shall go nameless are suggesting that supporting this comic is somehow disrespectful to the memory of Steve Gerber, who as we all know originally created the character, wanted to script any revival, and was on record as being opposed to this project's release, and I'm being a bad person by not only purchasing, but enjoying Lethem, Rusnak, and Dalrymple's faithful-in-spirit take. Well, to hell with that. I wish that Gerber could have done it, too, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate what the latter three are trying to do! Just my opinion, make of it what you will.

SHE-HULK #29: Offhand, I don't remember why this one caught my eye, besides the obvious. Perhaps I meant to say that this looks more "gratuitous" than the Iron Man: Viva cover to me. Oh well.

SKY DOLL #1: I like this cover, which is (if I read it correctly) part of a Marvel partnership with French publisher Soliel. I see nipplage! I'll bet you a nickel that the interiors aren't half as interesting.

YOUNG AVENGERS PRESENTS #5: It shows how out of touch I am with Marvel comics that I didn't have a clue who this character was, and no wonder; there are just WAY TOO MANY permutations of the standard Marvel roll for me these days, between the Ultimate, Old, New, Borrowed, Blue, Crosby, Stills, Nash, Young, and Marvel Adventures versions, and so on and so forth- it's wearying. Anyway, this seems to be the daughter of Scott (?) Lang, who was Ant-Man for a while back in the late 70's-early 80's and has probably appeared a million places since in a million comics I've never read. ANYWAY, I like this costume, but I just don't have the money, energy or patience to get mixed up in all these multitudes of versions of the same characters. Nice costume, though.

I also liked this totally gratuitous cover by two of the foremost practitioners of superhero cheesecake these days, the Dodsons:






















I don't have a clue who these provocative wenches are, again see the entry immediately preceding, except that they're two of the YOUNG X-MEN, and that's all I care to know.























Finally, the IRON MAN: ENTER THE MANDARIN TPB comes out in May; you should get it. Have I ever lied to you before?


Of course I haven't. And now I'm done.

No comments: