Thursday, August 02, 2007



I see via the indispensable WhatGoesOn.com where EMI/Capitol is/are releasing four classic Apple-era Ringo Starr albums, Sentimental Journey, Beaucoups of Blues, Ringo, and Goodnight Vienna, in digital format later this month. Anything which gets the solo Fabs on iTunes is all right with me, and while I already own the near-classic Ringo on CD, I wouldn't mind cherrypicking from the other three. Now, if only they'd make George's Dark Horse available...

Also, I see where the above-pictured compilation CD will be released as well, along with a bonus DVD with some cool stuff included. Here's the tracklist:

PHOTOGRAPH: THE VERY BEST OF RINGO STARR (CD & Digital Album)

1. Photograph (1973)
2. It Don't Come Easy (1971)
3. You're Sixteen (You're Beautiful And You're Mine) (1973)
4. Back Off Boogaloo (1972)
5. I'm The Greatest (1973)
6. Oh My My (1973)
7. Only You (And You Alone) (1974)
8. Beaucoups Of Blues (1970)
9. Early 1970 (1971)
10. Snookeroo (1974)
11. The No-No Song (1974)
12. (It's All Down To) Goodnight Vienna (1974)
13. Hey Baby (1976)
14. Weight Of The World (1993)
15. A Dose Of Rock 'N' Roll (1976)
16. King Of Broken Hearts (1998)
17. Never Without You (2003)
18. Act Naturally (with Buck Owens) (1989)
19. Wrack My Brain (1981)
20. Fading In and Fading Out (2005)

PHOTOGRAPH: THE VERY BEST OF RINGO STARR (Collector's Edition) CD/DVD

1. Sentimental Journey (1970 promotional film)
2. It Don't Come Easy (1971 promotional film)
3. Back Off Boogaloo (1972 promotional film)
4. You're Sixteen (You're Beautiful And You're Mine) (1973 promotional film)
5. Only You (And You Alone) (1974 promotional film)
6. Act Naturally (with Buck Owens) (1989 -- music video)
7. Goodnight Vienna (1974 -- promotional film for album)

First 14 songs, I have no complaint. Included in this number is the wonderful B-side of "It Don't Come Easy"- "Early 1970", and I even agree with the inclusion of the mostly-wretched Ringo's Rotogravure's best cut, "Hey Baby". You'd think that there would be room for Journey's "Bye Bye Blackbird", but that's the way it goes. But it gets REAL problematic for me with #15- two tracks from Rotogravure and none from Ringo the 4th is way too many and way too few. Plus, here was a chance to get another track from 1981's damn good but unfortunately out of print Stop and Smell the Roses besides "Wrack My Brain", the album's single. It's a great track, but there are two or three others that would have been a better fit than "King of Broken Hearts", like "Attention", which should have been a big hit. I realize that to be inclusive, they needed to put a lot of comparatively recent Ringo on there- and "Weight of the World" and "Never Without You" are good choices. I would rather have seen the bouncy, fun "Mr. Double-it-up" or "La De Da", instead of "Fading in and Fading Out", which I've only heard once and wasn't impressed. Oh well. There's some great stuff on the DVD, though- the "Only You" clip (if it's the one I've seen) is Ringo and Harry Nilsson (in bathrobe) on top of the Capitol building, fun, the cover of "Act Naturally" with the great Buck Owens is fun, and I'm not sure that I've seen all the other ones (I think I've seen "Back off Boogaloo", but I forget)- but they sound great. I think I'd get a copy just for the DVD, a first for me!

No comments: