Thursday, December 27, 2007



Wow.

Found via Scott Cederlund's Secret of the Wednesday's Haul blog: the art blog of one Francesco Francavilla, named Pulp Sunday.

He specializes in illustrating adventures of pulp heroes such as the Shadow, as you'll see if you click on the link. Scott compares his work to such luminaries as Alfredo Alcala and Steve Bissette, valid enough, especially in the blackspotting area...but I don't think his inkline is as blocky as Alcala's was, or as loose as Bissette's pencil work. To me, it looks a lot like the inkwash efforts Gene Colan turned in for Warren in the 60's- those things were beautiful- and I'm also reminded a lot of David Mazzuchelli's 80's work via Batman: Year 1. I'm also reminded a little of former DC Shadow artist Eduardo Barretto, except Francavilla's art is much more dynamic and less fussy.

I like it a lot, and boy would I like to read more Shadow comics by this guy. And I hope someday he gets interested in the Avenger as well...


No comments: